I wrote in my previous post and also havent stopped talking about, how we bought a 2006 Ford Falcon Station Wagon that has its very own bed built in the back. We are going to take said Station Wagon on a trip, not just any trip, the full circle around Australia, following Highway1 from Perth to Perth… no biggy, right?
Well… All those years spent as a child infront of the T.V after school watching Art Attack – shout out to Neil Buchanan, SmArt and Changing Rooms (sorry to any non UK folk reading this) back in the 90’s have really being paying off these past few weeks since buying the car and getting ready for our next big trip!
Ever since I can remember I have been able to picture something in my head and come up with a weird and wonderful way of creating it. My grandad is really creative and he was definitely and still is, a massive influence on me growing up. Hi Grandad!! I have always found ways to make things to look cute and cool if it’s looking a bit outdated. And I have always managed to make the best out of what I have available. In school I took Art, Craft Design & Technology, Product Design and Graphic Design. Basically I should have went to Art College… but of course I never.
Hense thinking putting curtains up in the car was a good idea… Little did I know that a bit of trial and error would occur and I’m so glad I started a few weeks before leaving to give myself time to make it right.
I made the curtains out of a $10 queen bed sheet from kmart in a mint geometric pattern, I measured up the inside of the car and wonda webbed (adhesive iron on strips) the bed sheet into rectangles. I had already done some research on Pintrest and I knew that I wanted to make a roll up style curtain and have the ties hanging to sercure the curtains up when they weren’t in use.
To actually secure the curtains in the car was a different story. I tried velcro (see above) which failed miserably after 2 days where I would get in the car and the curtains would be hanging off. So I got some pins and pinned them up to be more secure. After a fews days I got annoyed at how untidy it looked, so I took the advice from a friend which I should have done in the first place and bought myself a $6 staple gun from Bunnings. I ripped off the velcro and started again, also changing the ties to a loop and hook style fasten as my previous idea to use velcro to secure the ties to keep the curtains rolled up didnt work either, hopefully you can see in the pictures…
Because the interior to the car is fabric, the staples have worked a treat, it looks so neat, tidy and secure. I’m really chuffed with the result!
So here is the finished result!
I had to add in some fairy lights too!! The mint storage boxes are from Kmart (see theres a pattern here, all about those savings when your a backpacker).
You might have already noticed the wood is now a different colour too… The wood didnt look very attractive and I thought it could do with a bit of sproosing up. So bought some sticky vinyl in a light wood finish for $3 from Kmart and wrapped around the front of the bed to make it look more modern and clean. You can see the bed fully down here too. We have the back seats up at the moment until we are ready to put bedding in and the bed down for the trip.
I also bought this cute marble vinyl ($3 from kmart) that everyone is obsessed with right now and updated this dingy broken camping table instead of buying a new one.
#projectmakethecarahome is almost complete and we leave Perth in 8 days, stay tuned, I think the next few months are gonna be fun!!
Feel free to join me on my journey by following me on Instagram & Snapchat where I post most regularly and of course Facebook!